Pre- and in-service training: Questions for discussion

<< < (6/8) > >>

Arrey Emmanuel Enow:
In my rural communities in Cameroon, the word sex is still considered a taboo. not to talk of a teacher mentioning it to the pupils in class. With my experience in my primary school in which i graduated, when i called the word sex when i was giving the children lesson on HIV/AIDS, more than half of the class bend their heads down. This shows that they are not use to the word. I asked the teacher after the lesson why it happened and he told my this word is not often used and when you use it, you will be stigmatised as being "raw".
This i think is a problem that originates from the teachers training leading to inappropriate approach to the pupils.
One other thing that i noticed was that most of these teachers in the rural areas are parent teachers. These teachers had no formal training as teachers.
I think teachers should be well trained in sex education and sent more especially in the rural areas of Cameroon.

Arrey Emmanuel Enow:
The Issue of Pre-and in-service training for HIV/AIDS should be focus more on the rural areas than the urban areas and UNESCO should take a leading hand in doing this.
In most war torn countries and countries who had suffered from crises for a long time, more emphasis is always focus in the urban areas and leaving the most vulnerable in the rural areas more Open to HIV/AIDS and the conseguencies.

Zulaikatu Usman Momodu:
Quote from: Forum Moderator on May 07, 2009, 12:06:10 pm

• How are HIV and AIDS addressed in pre-service teacher training in your country or the country/ies in which you work? What opportunities are there for continuous professional development on HIV and AIDS for teachers and what is the content, process and duration of the training? Are both pre- and in-service training opportunities offered and what is the coverage?
In my country Nigeria, the Pre-service stand alone curriculum is in place.The Family Life and Emerging Health Issues curriculum  was developed by the National Commission for Colleges of Education which is a requlatory body for teacher education in collaboration with Federal Ministry of Education and Action Health Incorporated developed. The curriculum content include HIV&AIDS, Life skills, Faciltation techniques and other health issues and is offered for one year as a compulsory course in all teacher training Institutions. HIV&AIDS issues are also integrated in relevant subject areas in Colleges of Education i.e our teacher training colleges.
Some Universities in Nigeria also offer Diploma courses in HIV&AIDS. Its a two year course

While the In-service training is implemented nation wide in line with the National Guideline for the Implementation of Family Life HIV&AIDS Education Curriculum. FLHE is an age appropreriat, spirally arranged and gender sensive HIV&AIDS curriculum for primary and secondary schools The in-service training is a seven day training on curriculum content, faciltation techniques and two or three days practicum (practicalising what has been taught). The classroom delivery of the FLHE curriculum is according to the socio-cultural peculiarities of where is is being taught

• Are teachers trained and supported to encourage participatory, child-centred and age-appropriate learning which helps learners to personalise the information, and address the risk and protective factors related to HIV? Are teachers equipped with a broad repertoire of teaching methodologies and instructional skills? 
Yes they. Even if they were not initiallty trained to do that the in-service training focus on that and teaching methodologies relevant to life skills

• In your experience, are teacher training strategies for HIV prevention different in low versus high prevalence settings? In what way(s) and why?
In NIgeria we make use of the same delivery process in both high and low prvelence setting. However,the only difference is that areas with high prevelence started classroom delivery of the curriculum earlier than those with low prevelence

• Which interventions produce demonstrable improvements in teacher effectiveness to teach about HIV and AIDS? Consider and comment on different approaches.

• There is considerable evidence that many teachers have difficulties addressing sex – the main mode of HIV transmission – when teaching about HIV. In your country or the country/ies in which you work, how does teacher training approach the building of teachers’ confidence to address these topics in the classroom setting? What other kinds of support may teachers need in order to deal effectively with this issue?

This is also a challenge to effective teaching of the FLHE curricul, Hence the curriculum is structured in such a way that the core sex issues are taught in the senoir secondary level. The training on FLHE curricum implementation has relevent topic that address the issue raised above. So that at the end of the training teachers gain confidence in teaching the traditional hard to discuss topics 

Mark_Omolade:
I think pre- and in-service training for HIV/AIDS teachers needs to be given more attention at the rural community in every country,so UNESCO should begin campaign on this idea.

Forum Moderator:
The following message comes from Eric Allemano, Consultant to Catholic Relief Services/Haiti and is addressed mainly to David Ross, Arrey Emmanuel Enow and Jean-Pierre Damego-Cotonfranc

I have found many of the forum exchanges to be interesting and instructive in terms of raising issues that must be dealt with in designing curriculum and teacher training on HIV/AIDS and life skills. I am beginning an assignment for an NGO that will help the Ministry of Education of Haiti to design a curriculum on these subjects for both primary and secondary schools. I have been asked to find examples of "good practices" to submit to the Hatian team to study and adapt to the local school environment. For that reason, I am looking for French-language curricula in HIV/AIDS and life skills which include both student and teacher materials. I have reviewed the Mema Kwa Vijana materials from Tanzania and they look good. I am glad to hear that they have been evaluated and are shown to be effective. The problem (for Haiti) is that they are in Kiswahili and English. Is there anything similar available in French? I would like to be able to discuss issues with those who have designed and implemented curricula in their countries in order to share these experiences with the Hatian counterparts. I look forward to hearing from you.
Many thanks,
Eric Allemano

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page