UNESCO HIV and AIDS Education Clearinghouse forum UNESCO HIV and AIDS Education Clearinghouse forum
E-forum on Treatment, Care and Support for HIV and AIDS in Higher Education Institutions. This forum is held at the request of the United Nations Inter-Agency Task Team on Education Working Group on Higher Education (WGHE). It aims to share experiences and good practices on the management of HIV and AIDS within higher education institutions, particularly universities as centres of treatment, care and support.

The forum will be open from 4 to 15 October 2010.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Teachers and HIV prevention: Questions for discussion  (Read 72682 times)
Forum Moderator
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 02:52:56 pm »

A contribution sent via email from Francelino Da Silva Correia, President of TLETA (The Timor Leste Exact Teacher Association):

1.   in my country workshop, from Department of health, Promotion, via Television, radio, blood checking, urine checking. No other mechanism.
-   Our curriculum in our country specific for HIV and AIDS not yet establish, but the topics about HIV and AIDS students learn only in material of Biology.
-   After our country has freedoms not yet supporting fro much organization to the teacher how to learn or study cases specific about the HIV and AIDS.
-   Not yet establish support from teacher unions, luck of the equipments to study about HIV and AIDS.
-   School management and administration 20% only from department of education, but not to study about HIV and AIDS epidemic.
-   Links parents and community my be 15%  some times no sustainable
-   No quality assurance and support system, why I say like this, because some time yes 5,or 6 month  finish and lost again, my be one year start again no sustainable
-   No and nothing establishment of a safe and secure institutional of environment. 
2.   In my country at Department of Education they have policy about teachers training (specific for Natural science teacher and language training, Social and cultural training for teacher in specialized Social science.
-   In this cases not yet establish permanent training for specific HIV and AIDS teacher training. Because no equipments, material specific laboratories, Experts for service training by teacher in HIV and AIDS.
-   No professional conduct
-   15% for supervision
-   have workplace
-   No structure bodies to represent specific teacher involving in development and review.
-   The outcome monitor by each bodies in the Department of Education only.
3.   In my opinion (as a TLETA President), all teacher graduated in biology Department of Education and the selected must be involved Association of Natural science teachers. Or selected by Association (TLETA) not Department of Education because not clear, my be KKN (not fair play, but Department of Education received report only  from Association as a partnership of National Development.
-   The good way(s) how to selected the teacher via Association and then approved by the Department of Education, it is good selection process impact on the outcomes of their work.
-   The recommendation is the Associated must write official report to the Department of Education and The Department of Health, discussion together about the outcomes of forum. (teachers and HIV and AIDS reviewing Achievements Identifying  challenges, and you are as UNAIDS must support us to write recommendation or resolution tome (us) organization my Association and send directed to the both of the Department legally of Government in each country, to support us. Because I am a person as a participate at forum of 2009. Start 18 to 29 may 2009.   
4.   The incentives and the disincentives important for teacher to involved in HIV and AIDS Education are :
-   Transportation fee (Plan, Sea, and land, transportation.
-   Accommodation aid support
-   Perdue for teacher who spend their time to involved in HIV and AIDS training
-   Salaries
-   Recreation fees
-   Compensation, Financial or otherwise
5.   The additional managerial, leadership excellent, Skill of theory must be good, Organizational Classroom, Capacity of Organized Laboratories is good, must graduated in Biology or Medicine area including Agricultural department, and because they have capacity to set up Laboratories also be good.
R_Chediel
teachers

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 04:01:19 pm »

It appears that there are countries where teachers are appointed to teach HIV and AIDS education. This is where the teachers can ask for incentives. In Tanzania HIV and AIDS is taught through carrier subjects, such as Biology and Civics. In this case the subject teachers cannot ask for insentives. HIV and AIDS issue is treated as cross-cutting. Therefore every teacher is supposed to teach. Unless the teaching goes further to actual care and support, then teachers involved here need incentives.
J_Mmbando
teachers

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 04:27:07 pm »

In my opinion we need to focus to empower teachers especial for primar school which is big issue here in Tanzania as the goverment they intoducing the school book fr teachs but most of the sciency teachers they fear to talk with pupils about HIV as the shy to answer the critical question from the student this i was experiance during my voluunteer teaching in some schools.

Might Abreh
teachers

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 06:52:05 pm »

What does teachers want? what can other stakeholders do to support our teachers? They play a vital role therefore structuring the curriculum to cover initial interest on the subject of HIV AIDS is a step in the right direction to address the challenge.
Moses_OrweOnyango
teachers

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 09:13:16 pm »

HIV/AIDS policies do results in action on the ground, in our institite for educational development operating in the three Eastern African countries, we have integrated HIV/AIDS education as stated in the policies. However, due to limited follow up, some of the institutions we work with like TTC's and schools are not implementing the policy. Effectiveness of implementation is difficult to judge when the expected outcome is not well stated and the indicators of success is also not clear. I think the AIDS control units at the ministries of education should come up with some indicators in consultation with stakeholders.
lady_murrugarra
teachers

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 09:56:56 pm »

Dear forum participants,

It is my pleasure to open this forum. I hope you will be able to log on easily and to share your contributions with us.

In Peru we are working in the training and contents in the schools, universities, communities and using the ICT (distance learning) for LAC.

Lady
Mark_Omolade
teachers

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2009, 11:13:13 am »

Government should make a policy on Teachers and HIV/AIDS prevention to be a focal point to school Administrators in their curriculum,with this there would be  changes in pupils behaviour toward waywards life. Also,in the policy,drama theatre should be included to demonstrate the teaching of HIV/AIDS prevention.
matthew nyarkoh
teachers

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 05:48:07 pm »

My problem has to do with how some expext in the HIV Prevention tend to compound the solutions by all trying to give different figures of people living with HIV and those ho have died to the disease.
I think it is time the UNAIDS come out with the correct figure that would be accepted worldwide.
This with other resourceful euipment and information in a way will teachers in the prevention of HIV
Moses_OrweOnyango
teachers

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 09:22:21 pm »

While conducting an In-service programme in Kenya last year, I had a session on HIV/AIDS education which was facilitated by a teacher living positively with HIV from Kenya Network of Positive Teachers (KENEPOTE). This association of teachers do provide support to teachers who need to deal with the social aspects of HIV pandemic in their classes or school. The facilitators provide a way of dealing with panic and fear that once you are infected with HIV you cannot live a normal life. I was particularly impressed with the way this group is visible and answer questions based on their life experiences. The facilitator was able to display the ARV's and when to take them and the type of diet and activities they engage in to stay healthy and fit to lead a normal life. I could not have done this hands-on activity. It was so real and I think the teachers enjoyed the session and made contact.
PP_Gile
teachers

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 06:57:51 am »

Hi Forum Participants.

In Ethiopia, there are  good public policies of which education and training policy, HIV/AIDS Policy. The issue of teachers and HIV prevention strategies clearly stated in the national and sectoral strategic plans. As it might be common in some other countries, we are implementing the "Three One " approach as well as contextualized and fine tuned education and HIV/AIDS policies, strategies and governance systems in place(though implementation problems are norms..due to various reasons-such as specialy trained instructors, focal points, funding, lack of harmony and strategic partnership...in some institutions). The governement considers HIV/AIDS as a cross-cutting high development agenda and recognizes education as one of the best solutions and entry point for all interventions in HIV prevention and responding to the complicated impacts of the epidemic in Ethiopia. I know federal HIV/AIDS prevention and control authority/secretariate has a big institution spearheading HIV/AIDS interventions in schools(of all levels). Hence teachers participation is in place, HIV prevention na d other pillars of mainstreaming are included in the curriculum and infused into co-curricular activities in Ethiopia. Political commitment is there but due to a culture mosaic nature of a country, there are still problems associated with cultural and traditional norms, values, beliefs, perceptions, attitudes, mind set, silences...of considering HIV/AIDS issues as that of 'others', lack of openness among some categories of society(some times religious factors), poverty issues, gender inequalities, corruption....though the current massive transformation and reform efforts are attempting to reverse the problems solved(lack of inefficiencies and ineffectivenesses...observed..)

Philipos Petros Gile
Forum Moderator
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 10:25:25 am »

Contribution received via email from Ethiopia:

HIV/AIDS Policy is teacher and student friendly, mainstreaming efforts are in place, currucular integration in place, focal points assigned, participation of teachers, students, some parents/family memebrs there(but need to be scaled up and benchmarked)...but there is a need for more capacity building efforts, more funding. However, interschool, intercollege, interuniversity partnership and collaboration is not there(if there is it is nominal and not active) hence network should be inplace..there are colleges and universities doing very good job in mainstreaming but these best practices not shared among each other..I call every body(concerned) to gather together and share best experiences--my institution might take the initiative for such gathering... for examople 21 or 30 universities and colleges of public sector could meet here and share where were we? where are we now? where do we wnat to be? what is there? what is missing? what more roles can we play? ...???
Forum Moderator
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 10:35:11 am »

The Education sector policy in my country :

1. Mybe lack of the sistem training in my country to handle the HIV AIDS
2. Lack of the strategic or method the Implementation in the Education Sector Policy.
3. in Our Country for Education Department not yet Prepare the specific Method of specific Policies to the trainning for trainer to involved teacher body and to Solving the HIV and AIDS.
4. My be in the Department of Health in my country already implemente or prepare this the management policies.to prevent the HIV Aids.

Best regards

Francelino da Silva correia
Moses_OrweOnyango
teachers

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 02:11:56 am »

In Kenya, the Kenya national union of teachers (KNUT) came up with the HIV/AIDS workplace policy and therein explained how HIV is transmitted and how one can protect themselves in a school context. There is the use of gloves during first aid or use of a polythene or any plastic bag if gloves are not available. The workplace policy has helped reduce discrimination in government schools. However, unconfirmed stories from private schools indicate that HIV positive teachers are layed off on filmsy grounds if they are discovered. This usually happens when they have do go for compulsory medical test for insurance cover provided by most private schools. I personnally had a test done where the form had only HIV ticked out among a range of possible tests that could be carried out for medical cover. But because of the silence about HIV/AIDS no one fights back. I had to take my chances and hope to test negative and keep earning money for my family. I could have fought back knowing the existence of the workplace policy and the education sector policy. But in this private school which is high cost, they do not even teach the integrated HIV in the curriculum since they follow IGCSE. So in some schools in Kenya, the private posh schools, nothing is being done on stigma and discrimination...after all HIV/AIDS is a poor mans dsisease...that only affects 'others' not us. There is fear of parents and school administration!
Arrey Emmanuel Enow
teachers

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 03:03:51 pm »

Dear moderator,
In response to the question for discussion on the saturday, onthe strategiesput in place by teachers  to address the HIV-related stigma and discrimination in schools.
I willlike to send this contribution
- Massive sensitisation campaignes are being carried out In cameroon but only few teachers and puplils are involved. For example the cameroon center  for the education and the protection of the child is carring out a door to toor sensitisation to parents and children on this issue.
- HIV/AIDS is being equivilated to Malaria , tuberclosis and even yellow fever so that those who are victims of HIV/AIDS will not be looked upon like having a deadly and special illness.
- Presently also in camerron, an assosiation DIAP mobile unit for Psychosocial support even though not a teachers assosiation is moving in rural areas started inBamenda Cameroon,giving Psychological support to victims and counseling non victims on the issue of stigmatisation.
- More HIV/AIDs patience are involved now and are encouraged to be involved in activism.
- Teachers and students are encouraged to denounce their HIV/AIDS status.
Francelino da Silva Correia
teachers

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 09:27:52 am »

Mr.Francelino da Silva (Timor Leste)

The strategies and method are being  implemented in my country is be good by teacher (other staiecholders) are :
1. we must establish center of research and physicological counseling center tewards HIV and AIDS at every school (senior High School and junior high school) and organized by teacher and head teacher.

2. We must establish center of Students cheking about HIV /AIDS organizes by teacher  and also Coorporate with the Ministry of health. RDTL, from the section on promotion of HIV /AIDS
Strategic of teaching it is meaning :
1.  the curiculum wemust be including matery or subject for HIV/AIDS (one lesson specific not to misturate to the Biology subject.
I say like this beacause in my Country the biology subject not separate with the program or Subject of the HIV/AIDS section. or materi at the lesson.

2.we must provide the teacher in specialy programme in HIV and AIDS to teach the students on theory and Practicing.

Francelino da Silva Correia

Fdscl
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: